The Avery Coy Maddry Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a deserving graduating senior at one of Chapel Hill’s public high schools. The scholarship was established by family and friends in memory of Coy, a 1990 graduate of Chapel Hill High School who was a freshman at NC State University at the time of his death. The scholarship is administered by OrangeUMC/Coy Maddry Scholarship Fund. The grants are usually in the amount of $1,000.
The selection criteria and guidelines are as follows:
– must be a varsity letterwinner
– must demonstrate academic success as reflected by grade point average, course selection, SAT scores, class rank, academic honors and other measures of academic effort.
– must demonstrate hard work and dedication
– must demonstrate exemplary character and leadership, including involvement in church and community activities. As a church offering a scholarship, we put particular emphasis on an individual’s involvement in a faith community. This is an important component of scholarship.
– must be planning to further his or her education at a four- year institution of higher learning.
Nominations of deserving student-athletes who meet the criteria are made by the teachers and coaches at high schools in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro school system using the appropriate forms issued by the church. A committee of church members evaluates the candidates and makes the selection.
PREVIOUS SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS
|1995||Mary Schliebe, Becky Andersen|
|1996||Elizabeth Costa, Seth Howard, Hunter Lewis, Jennifer White|
|1997||Erica Newmark, Nick Trotta|
|1998||Alicia Ammons, Martina Williams, Adam Pomerantz|
|2000||Inchull Lee, Julie Scearce|
|2001||Rachel Kitson, Lindsay Strunk|
|2002||Kate Crandall, Hadley Thom|
|2003||Heather Kendell, Chris Conway|
|2004||No award given|
|2006||Scott Anderson, Daniel Acker|
|2008||Wesley Strunk, Jeremy Harn|
|2010||Katie Krantz, Sam Marks|
|2011||Bill Collette, Adam Glasser|
|2013||Peter Rathmell, Alexa Young|
|2017||Jackson Pettee, Paige Watson|